Thursday, December 8, 2011

Media players, from the radio to the IPhone


Taking into account the first rough draft, where I talked about my relation with the music players and its development during time, I would like to say that it was just a little example of how the Technology influences our life.

The music players are a very small part of the items that have developed during the past 15-20 years, and today, they keep developing.

My relationship with the music players began long time ago, that much that I can broadly remember. I just can visualize a big radio turned on in the living room while I was doing anything that it was mainly what I did, and I think everyone do, when you are 6-7 years old, but I cannot even remember what it was playing. Also I can remember when all the family went to have lunch in my grandmother’s house and while she was cooking, she was listening old songs in another big radio like the one I had in my house.

Shortly after, when I was 10 more or less the radio became part of my life. In those years I lived in the outside of Madrid’s area, and every morning to go to school my mom drove us, my sister and me, for almost an hour because of the traffic. That make us to spend a lot of time listening the radio in the car and also to know all the songs that they played!

The beginning of the second decade in my life started with the cassettes. My uncle, who is very close to me, is a big fun of rock music and he was the one who made me become a rock music fan. He gave me a lot of cassettes with his favorite artists which we used to played them in long trips because the old radios didn’t work between big cities, at least in Spain. But not everyone in my family was a big fan of rock music so, during these long trips there were always discussions about it which always ended up with my mother putting her cassettes which no one liked them.

Because of that, the appearance of portable cassette players was a big help in our family life! I keep listening my uncle’s music: roky erickson, radio birdman, wipers… but I started to know Spanish artists and other kind of music so by the time the CD appeared, my shelf was packed of cassettes, I think I had around 30 more or less.

The CD’s for me followed the same path in my life than the cassettes. I used them in long trips and also in radio cassettes during classes, mostly in English class to do listening, which is something that my sister, 4 years younger than me is still using. To all of this we added 6-5 year ago, the Walkman, the portable CD player. I started to go everywhere with my Walkman and it became a part of my body during my teenage.

I have been using CD in long car trips until one or two years ago when I started using the cable to plug my mp3 into the car radio system.

The mp3 was a revolution in the word of Technology. The simple fact that you didn’t have to pay to download all the music you wanted even movies or whatever made everyone to bought one. In addition it wasn’t only the fact of the money. It was also the easier way to get music from your computer, laptop even now in your cellphone.

All is this has happened in Spain and in Europe since the last 10 years. I know here in the U.S to download stuff for free is a felony but, back in Europe the download media is more than a custom. That is why, it surprise me a lot when I came here to the States.

This mp3’s have been one of the things that have been developed more in the last years. We have gone from the mp3’s through all kind of iPod’s until the latest IPhone’s.

These electronic devices have been part of my life and I could say that they have been part of the lives of the majority of the developed world people.

This is something that is going to keep developing because both parts end winning. Costumers get the device and the companies get a lot of benefits because there are a lot of people who want their product.

That is one of the most important parts when we talk about Technology, it is always changing and improving and we cannot even think about and end of the Technology, we don’t have this thought in our minds, maybe because we think that always someone is going to improve something that we already have it.

Since I am in this world, I have experienced to many changes in my in daily things, like cars, tv, computers, media players, and also in my sport, tennis.

This develop is something that we can’t realize while it is happening. We have wait a few years to have the time perspective in order to compare what we had and what we have now.

The develop of devices trough Technology have a mainly goal. To make our life easier. But this can be a problem too.

Do you remember the last time that you go to play outside your house with your friends instead of stay at home watching tv or playing videogames? All of these changes are really good, but if we use them correctly…

Taking into account the reading “Technology matters” we can ask ourselves some questions about the “correct use of Technology”.

Are we doing a good job working on something that really doesn’t help at all?

We can find the answer in the new video games where you have to move yourself to play and you cannot be seated on the couch. Thank of this we can find to different types of develop.

Firstly a big boom in the industry of video games who made people (young people) to stay at home instead go outside and do healthy stuff and secondly another develop in order to change the last develop, so if we outline the process, it would be: people who went out to play, people who stay at home and then people who stay at home doing things that they used to do outside.

With this, we can say that Technology is going forward day by day and it is making us to change our style of life.

But here is another important question:

Should we change our style of life because of the technology, or Technology should adapt to our style of life?

I can think on many answers to that question but the one which I prefer to tell you could be that the technology should adapt to our style of life. Our work in the future should be focused in create technologies which can help us to have an easier life but maintaining our healthy habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment